The National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC) invites research scientists from members of ASEAN Network on Microbial Utilization to apply to BIOTEC Training Program on Microbial Utilization 2014. The Program aims to build up R&D capability for as well as fostering research network among network members. Six training fellowships will be provided in 2014.
1) Must be research staff currently being employed in one of the members of ASEAN Network on Microbial Utilization.
2) Must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in sciences for application to a fundamental course or at least a Master’s degree in sciences for application to an advanced course. All applicants must have finished course work in biology, microbiology or any related areas that will be required for particular training topics.
3) Must have good command in English.
4) Must be able to attend the course, starting on 2 June 2014. Duration varies from course to course, according to the list of courses below.
5) Must not be older than 32 years of age as of 2 June 2014.
6) Since the training is research-based and trainees will be working in the laboratories, applicants must show on his/her application form that his/her current job involves research, not administrative work.
7) Each selected grant recipient will be assigned to ONE of the available courses. Applicants will have to identify only ONE course in their application form.
Members of ASEAN Network Members on Microbial Utilization
- Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia
- University of Diponegoro, Semarang, Indonesia
- Agency for Assessment and Application of Technology (BPPT), Indonesia
- Institute of Microbiology and Biotechnology (IMBT), Vietnam National University Hanoi, Vietnam
- University of Santo Tomas, the Philippines
- Microbial Research and Services Laboratory and Culture Collection, Natural Sciences Research Institute, the Philippines
- National Institute of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology (BIOTECH), University of the Philippines Los Banos
- Mandalay Technological University, Myanmar
- Technological University, Kyaukse, Myanmar
- Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI), Malaysia
Selected candidate will be provided with accommodation and bench fee. Applicant and head of institute must confirm that he/she or institute will provide airfare, subsistence allowance and health insurance for the duration of the training on an application form.
Available Training Courses
|Course No.||Training Topic||Training Duration||Specific Requirement|
|1||Microbial Genome Annotation and Analysis||3 months||Candidate must have knowledge in computer programming and database development.|
|2||Discovery of microbial-derived bioactive natural products
||1-4 months (will be discussed and decided between successful candidate and BIOTEC supervisor)||Candidate must have basic knowledge in chemistry, biology and spectroscopy|
|3||Screening and optimization of production conditions for biomass-degrading enzymes for industrial applicationDetails: The training will include biochemical techniques on (i) screening of biomass degrading enzymes from microbial isolates; (ii) optimization of enzyme production media and conditions in lab-scale using experimental design approaches||3 months|
Each applicant should submit a completed application form along with an English university-transcript, full Curriculum Vitae, certificate of health and copy of passport (if any) to BIOTEC. The deadline for receipt of application is 30 March 2014. Selected applicant will be notified by 10 April 2014. For application submission and further inquiries, please contact:
International Cooperation Section
c/o Ms. Papawee Nupason
National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC)
113 Thailand Science Park, Phahonyothin Road
Khlong Nuang, Khlong Luang, Pathum Thani 12120 Thailand
Tel: (66) 2 564 6700 ext.3323 Fax: (66) 2 564 6572